Tuesday, June 8, 2010

All I want is to dance and help

I have been very busy the last moth or so. Work has been excited with several different things.

We had a Sunday school away weekend at a place called child haven. We took the kids there and played games, made crafts played rounder’s (which is really just baseball it took me a few hits how ever to figer that out) worshiped together, rolled down hills. And made daisy chains. I had a great time will all my Garnerville friends the leader had a tendency to stay up very late chatting.

Also we had our childernday church services this past week where I was coned in to teaching a school from camp Montgomery. One with dance moves and sounds. I secretly loved every min of it. It was also one of many ends that are beginning to happen. I realized I would not be a Sunday school teacher in the fall. I am going to miss the later of the other teacher’s trumdisly not to mention a huge number of kids who have made me laugh and played ever game I taught. I feel I belong with this group of people. They have become my family.

Even though things are ending as the school year comes to another close I still have lots to look to before I return to the states. I am still teaching in the school on Fridays so I have dance class to prepare. I am even giving the school assemble this week. I am also co leading and creating VBS for the summer it called J-team at Garnerville. And I am very excited for that it is the first week of July. I am also in a dance for film by a local Belfast coregerfer who I have met at the dancer research base hear in Belfast. We start rehusing Thursday. And I have great YAV friends hear to hang out with for another couple of months. I went to Lisburn this past weekend to visit my friends Rob and Andy.

Andy is helping me by collaborating and composing a score for a dance I am make based on interviews I have had with older church member in Belfast. I am interested in childhood memories told 70 years later. What things remain what and is the facts left in or memory’s and how have exercised changes are views. I am hoping to turn it in to a dance for film. Before my time in Belfast runs out.

My groups of dancer at church are doing something very exciting. Rachel for my Birthday gave me a book called “An Alter In The World” by Barbra Brown Taylor. (Rachel is so good and know just what I need to read) it all about seeing the holy in the every day the chapter I read to the dancer was on god in nacher in the natural alters God has made. SO They are making the dance. I had each for them go out side and find an object study learn as much as the y could about it. Than make a solo around there object. And they are some of the most bueful dances I have ever seen. They are simply and thoughtful each step they take is mindful. It makes me want to be 12 agene almost.

Also my family comes at the end of July and we are going to travel till mid august together which is exciting. However the time after that is scary I am not sure where I am going or what I am going to do. I would rather keep living in these moments. Than move into the unknown that is so donating. I was very distort about it today I was talking to Meredith and was asked “well Tricia what do you want to do what will make you happy” and I answered that I did not know. It all seems so dark and with out any light at the end of the tunnel. I am so blessed to have friends who love me even when I am grumpy and afraid thank Meredith, Rachel, Mom, Dad, Andy, Rob, Peter, Aunt Fonda and every one else who has listened to me frit and worry these last few months I love you all.

Funnily how ever this evening I found comfort in my own words. The class of 2010 websites are up on Hollins dance and after looking throw them being very prod of my friends and there work. I vested my own web site and reread my artiest statement. It’s posted below. I found the words I wrote last year to be the same this year. I think dance is my vehicle for change. And how I am able to view the world what that means I have NO idea. But I find some comfort in realizing I do have an idea of what I am good at and how I make a difference.





Artist’s Statement


Not an end but a new beginning


I have quite a few works but I don’t want to talk about them individually but instead about why I choose to dance and make dances. I have been dancing for as long as I can remember. Not dancing would be similar to not breathing.


I like process, not just my own, but also others. I like the time spent in rehearsals and in movement class. It sustains me when I enter a studio. I leave every thing else at the door.
I make work that reflects my history. I find an idea that I am interested in and try and learn everything there is to know about it. I research a subject as if I am writing a research paper, but instead of writing a paper I create a dance. I often look at what is next to the idea instead of the idea itself. I choose a process or a game that best fits the idea in order to create movement. It’s different with each dance.


The ideas come from my family history, cell phones, Dr. Seuss, and musical theatre. Often my dances are commenting on these ideas and how they have affected my life, or many people’s lives. I believe you can say things in dances you could never get away with in words. Dancing is how I have gotten through a world that is so heavily dependent on words. But words are so often misunderstood and mixed up or spelled wrong for me. But my dancing body always seems to say what I ask it to or it informs me what it is thinking.


For me a dance “lives” not necessarily on the stage but in the interactions between me and the dancers I have asked to work with me. Just the fact that they are willing to spend the time to come and play my dance making games is an honor. At some point you have to let go of the dance and let the dancers hold the dance up. They are the ones on the stage. I try my best to create a rehearsal space that is healthy and useful for both the dancers, who are my friends, and myself. I hope they leave feeling that I value their time and ideas.


All I want is to dance and help. It is impossible to change the whole world. But with hard work and planning it is possible to make change in this world. I believe dance is the gift I was given as my vehicle for change.


“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It’s a way of looking at life thought the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.” –Dr. Seuss


“Public art hence becomes a vehicle of connection, a means to realize and recognize the common, a medium for people to gather together to reflect on the very idea of being together.” – Randy Martin

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia,
    Come to Ripple and create dance. There are many themes here in the city, and many willing dancers/children to work with. Enjoy your visit with your family, and know we are praying for you and supporting you. We miss you and love you. Keep dancing and creating!!

    Love,
    Carolyn & Tom

    ReplyDelete